June 3, 2014 – Ottawa
General Tom Lawson, Chief of the Defence Staff, travelled to the Philippines and met with Lieutenant General Emmanuel T. Bautista, Chief of Staff of the Armed Forces of the Philippines, and the Honourable Voltaire Gazmin, Secretary of National Defense of the Philippines. The purpose of General Lawson’s meeting was to discuss the growing defence relations between Canada and the Philippines and the importance of Canada’s security and defence engagement in the Asia-Pacific region.
- In February 2014, Canada signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the Armed Forces of the Philippines(AFP). The MOU will assist in building the capabilities of the AFP to manage their military, enhance peace support operations and promote interoperability.
- The Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) dedicated considerable resources providing assistance to the Philippines following the devastation of Typhoon Haiyan in November 2013. By the end of the mission in December, 2013, Task Force Philippines had:
- Purified nearly 500,000 litres of water for distribution;
- Treated 6,525 medical patients;
- Conducted 184 CH-146 Griffon sorties (totalling 357 flying hours) and transported 828 passengers;
- Delivered approximately 230,485 pounds of food and 10,325 pounds of shelter and building materials on behalf of non-governmental organizations;
- Delivered approximately 59,536 pounds of humanitarian assistance goods on behalf of local authorities;
- Cleared 131 km of roads;
- Conducted 14 different construction projects; and
- Repaired 8 generators.
- Since 1977, Canada has engaged with the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) as well as its member states (Brunei, Burma, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam). As the cornerstone of Canada’s multilateral relations in the Asia-Pacific region, ASEAN provides a forum for Canada to engage in an important dialogue on Asia’s defence and security issues.
“This visit provided me with an excellent opportunity to exchange information and to strengthen our defence relationship with the Philippines. From our commitment of resources towards humanitarian and relief efforts following Typhoon Haiyan, to our participation in regional military exercises and high-level defence forums, to regional visits such as this one to the Philippines, we will continue our efforts to bolster defence relations and increase cooperation with Canada’s partners in the Asia-Pacific region.”
General Tom Lawson
Chief of the Defence Staff
– 30 –
Department of National Defence
Phone: (613) 996-2353
Toll-Free: 1 866 377-0811