ABC host to be decided by end of February

KUALA LUMPUR, Feb 3 — Badminton Asia will decide on whether to remain to host the Asian Badminton Championships (ABC) 2020 (Individual Event) in Wuhan, China, the epicentre of the 2019 novel coronavirus (2019-nCov), or in other countries by end of this month at the latest.

However, the Asian badminton governing body said that, at this juncture, it will proceed with the ABC scheduled for April 21-26 in Wuhan, as this tournament will be awarded for Olympic points which will be of benefit to the players in the upcoming Olympic Games 2020 in Tokyo.

Badminton Asia and BWF (Badminton World Federation) will monitor closely the development and situation of the virus and with the hope of the situation getting better.

Badminton Asia will also have a contingency plan to have other cities ready to host this tournament within or outside of China, the statement said.

Prior to this, BWF had already postponed the Lingshui China Masters from Feb 25 to March 1, which is also an Olympic-qualifying tournament.

Source: BERNAMA (News Agency)