COVID-19 : Malaysia records first two deaths – Dr Adham Baba

KUALA LUMPUR, March 17 — Malaysia recorded its first two deaths from COVID-19 today, Health Minister Datuk Seri Dr Adham Baba said.

“The 178th case is a Malaysian, aged 34, who attended the tabligh religious gathering at Masjid Jamek in Sri Petaling recently. He began showing symptoms on March 5 and received treatment at Permai Hospital in Johor Bahru on March 12 after he tested positive for COVID-19.

“His condition deteriorated and he was then placed in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU),” he said at the daily media conference on COVID-19 at the Ministry of Health (MOH) in Putrajaya today.

Dr Adham said the second fatality, Case 358, is a 60-year-old man with a history of chronic ailments. He began having symptoms such as fever, cough and breathing difficulties on March 7, and received treatment at the Sarawak General Hospital after testing positive for COVID-19.

“His condition worsened and he was then placed in ICU and was confirmed to have died today.

Commenting on case 178, Dr Adham said the patient was a ‘pure COVID-19’ (no other health complications) case and was admitted to the ICU at Sultanah Aminah hospital in Johor Bahru, and had to be given respiratory aid after his condition deteriorated.

Dr Adham said 120 new COVID-19 cases were registered as of noon today, bringing the total number in the country to 673 cases.

“Based on preliminary investigations, 95 of the 120 new cases are linked to the Sri Petaling mosque tabligh religious gathering, as with 428 of the total nationwide tally so far.

“To date, 12 COVID-19 cases are being treated in ICUs and require respiratory aid,” he said.

He said seven more positive cases reported earlier have fully recovered and discharged, making it 49 full recoveries so far.

Meanwhile, commenting on the Movement Control Order that will take effect from tomorrow until March 31, he said it was a drastic action needed to be taken by the government to contain the spread of COVID-19 by restricting movement of the public.

“This approach has to be taken to prevent more Malaysians from being infected with COVID-19, which has entered its second wave (in Malaysia).

“However, it will not affect MOH and private healthcare services,” he said.

He urged the public to comply with the order as announced by Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin last night.

Dr Adham also urged every Malaysian to play their role in helping the government contain the spread of the virus.

Meanwhile, statistics on COVID-19 positive cases in the country reveal that Selangor has the highest number of patients with 161, followed by the Federal Territories of Kuala Lumpur and Putrajaya (113); Sabah (82); Johor (77); and Negeri Sembilan with 45 cases.

Kedah recorded 31 cases; Sarawak (29); Pahang (28); Kelantan (25); Perak and Penang each with 23 cases, Melaka (17); Perlis (8); Terengganu (7) while four cases were registered in Labuan.

Source: BERNAMA News Agency