KOTA BHARU, March 4 — The Kelantan Bus Operators’ Association has appealed to the government to consider providing a one-off payment of RM500 to all express bus drivers in the state.
Its president, Che Ibrahim Che Ismail said this was because almost all bus drivers have lost their source of income due to the implementation of the Movement Control Order (MCO) and needed some assistance to ease their financial burden.
“There are more than 2,000 bus drivers in the state. The association has also sent a letter (regarding the one-off financial aid) to the Finance Ministry.
“The application was made to protect the fate and welfare of express bus drivers especially those with many children who are still schooling,” he said.
He was speaking to reporters after receiving donations in the form of basic necessities through the Musaadah Fund from the state Yayasan Dakwah Islamiah Malaysia (Yadim) at his office, here today.
Che Ibrahim said currently, only a few bus operators are operating in the state due to a lower number of passengers following the interstate travel ban.
“I have been running E-Mutiara Consortium since 1992 and have 80 buses but during the MCO period, only 15 express can operate.
“Most express bus operators in Kelantan have to stop their operations which has also affected their workers, especially those with a monthly income of between RM2,000 and RM3,000,” he added.
Meanwhile, express bus driver, Mazlan Taib, 60, said he took the initiative to do odd jobs such as tapping rubber as well as applied for the i-Sinar withdrawal facility to cover his monthly expense.
“I hope the relevant authorities will look into the plight of the express bus drivers as we have been suffering from loss of income for almost a year since the implementation of the MCO last year,” said the father of three.
Source: BERNAMA News Agency