COVID: 22,802 new cases , cumulative total surpasses 3 million mark

KUALA LUMPUR, Feb 12 — The number of new COVID-19 cases continued on a rising trend with 22,802 cases recorded today, with cumulative infections surpassing the three million mark at 3,019,163.

Health director-general Tan Sri Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah in a social media post today informed that of the total, 99.54 per cent or 22,698 cases were in categories one and two while the remaining 104 cases or 0.46 per cent were in categories three, four and five.

“Category one had 5,029 cases or 22.05 per cent; category two 17,669 cases (77.49 per cent); category three, 82 cases (0.36 per cent); category four, 14 cases (0.06 per cent) and category five, eight cases (0.04 per cent), ” read the post.

Categories one and two refer to patients who are asymptomatic and have mild symptoms, category three involves those with lung infection, category four those with lung infection requiring oxygen, while category five refers to critical cases with organ damage and requiring ventilator assistance.

Meanwhile, Dr Noor Hisham, in a statement, said of the 22,802 new cases reported today, 94 cases were imported and 22,708 were local infections.

He said 176 cases were in the intensive care unit (ICU), with 98 cases requiring ventilators.

He said there were 5,442 recoveries, bringing the cumulative figure for recovered cases to 2,846,713.

Dr Noor Hisham said there are now 415 active clusters, following the detection of 11 new clusters.

He said the country’s infectivity rate was recorded at 1.51 yesterday, with Labuan registering the highest value of 2.31, followed by Sarawak (1.82), Sabah (1.65) and Perlis (1.51).

Detailed information on the latest COVID-19 situation in Malaysia is available on the COVIDNOW website at

Source: BERNAMA News Agency